An angle grinder is a powerful tool that can be used for many different purposes, but they are also dangerous. Safety precautions should always be taken when using an angle grinder and it’s important to know how to use them properly. So you don’t harm yourself or others by accident. There are some basic things one needs to know before starting with the angle grinder, such as knowing where the power switch is located on your machine, and how to control it for safest use.
In this post we’ll cover the topic of why angle grinders are dangerous to use, when you should leave angle grinder use and what is the safest way to use the angle grinder. So if you’re a beginner and you have never used an angle grinder before, this will be helpful for you.
Why are Angle Grinders Dangerous?
An angle grinder is dangerous because there’s always the risk of cutting yourself with it or hurting someone else nearby. That might not see what’s happening in front of them. It can also sometimes impact badly and cause severe accidents while using it.
Besides several functions of different branded angle grinders may sometimes not be able to give you the desired results.
There are many different brands of angle grinders that differ in quality, price, and features so you should decide what is suitable for your needs before buying one.
Moreover, the reason behind the angle grinder safety is because they can come in contact with the blade and spin it so fast that if you get tangled up, there’s a good chance of being pulled into either.
So What should I do? You should always make sure to keep your hands away from the spinning part when using an angle grinder. If anything happens though, it is important to know how you can keep yourself safe. So keep your hand away from the blade and wear safety gear, such as a dust mask or goggles in order to protect your eyes.
The angle grinder should never be left running when not being used because if anything happens like tripping over an extension cord or plugging up
When should you stop using an angle grinder?
If the blade is jammed and continues to rotate, this can happen in a severe accident with serious consequences like broken bones and lacerations that need stitches. It also happens when there are loose metal fragments flying out of the disc or shaft while working on concrete for example.
If the high speed and sharp rotating blade break down when in contact with the material, it can create a dangerous situation for you.
If the angle grinder does not have proper ventilation and there is dust in the air while using it, this might cause temporary or permanent damage to your lungs or eyesight. So if you are allergic to dust and the older person you should keep away from it.
The more powerful models of angle grinders are often used by professional contractors when the professionals fail to do the job that means it is quite hard to use for you.
If the power switch of an angle grinder gets jammed, it can create a dangerous situation since you won’t be able to stop it from spinning. There are some models with automatic shut-off that will turn off if there is no activity for more than about 30 seconds, but not all manufacturers provide these features.
Related: Can Angle Grinder Cut Concrete?
What are most angle grinder injuries from?
Most of the angle grinder injuries are from the debris that was cut by the machine.
Injuries can include lacerations, amputation of fingers or toes, and severe power tool vibration syndrome (PTVS). PTVS is a potentially lethal condition caused by using tools such as angle grinders for extended periods of time without adequate rest between uses. The most common cause is prolonged use with inadequate breaks to allow one’s muscles to relax; this may be due to work quotas set too high.
But a solution could be wearing goggles when you’re doing any type of grinding task with your angle grinder at home so it would shield your eyesight while still allowing you to see what’s in front of you. Another solution
Another important aspect of angle grinder injuries caused by kickback because the spinning wheel can launch the grinder to the hard object suddenly in a dangerous way that could cause serious injuries to your body.
What causes grinder kickback?
When the wheel of your grinder is spinning at a high enough speed, it throws up chunks of material. You’re probably familiar with this from using chisels and other woodworking tools: they throw small pieces of material in all directions as you cut through them. The angle grinder can launch these same bits back in its direction if it’s not properly supported by the work surface or tool rest
This could happen for different reasons: maybe he doesn’t have his fingers on the trigger while he’s bringing down a heavy pressure; maybe he didn’t adequately tighten teeth on an object so when someone grabs that end to lift – without even touching the handle- there was just enough give that caused some stress but then something snaps inside.
So to avoid a situation like kickback you need to take care of a few things.
- Do not adjust the grinder with one hand on the grip and another near the spinning wheel. This leaves you defenseless if something goes wrong, and your fingers are some of these most valuable assets out there.
- When using an angle grinder to cut through metal, always wear protective gear
What is the correct way to use an angle grinder?
- Hold the angle grinder securely in both hands. One hand should be near to but not touching the spinning wheel, and its grip should rest on top of the tool’s handle for a secure hold.
- Keep your other hand at least six inches away from the cutting edge when you are using an angle grinder to cut through metal. This way it will avoid any accidents that could happen if your fingers get too close
- When grinding or polishing, always wear protective goggles so you’re protected from glass shards popping up in case something goes wrong with your work
- Inspect all angles before use: make sure there is no damage such as cracks, rusting, or uneven ground where sparks can fly out. If it does this could harm you.
Should I leave to use an angle grinder?
Not exactly. Though several accidents happened with an angle grinder but most of them are not occasionally. IF you forget the basic rules of using an angle grinder then there is a higher possibility of accidents. But if you can maintain all the rules of using an angle grinder then you can use the tool without any problem.
If I don’t wear protective gear, will it be dangerous?
- Yes! Any time your fingers are too close to the grinding surface or disc while in operation with an angle grinder, there is a chance that something could go wrong and hurt one of your fingers.
- It’s important to always have safety goggles on when using this power tool because pieces of broken glass may come up from whatever material you’re cutting into if anything goes wrong. This would obviously not only cause injuries but also make repairing the damage much more difficult as well. Safety first!
- For best experience working with this type of machinery, make sure all work surfaces are neat and clean.
- Stay away from wet conditions and always check the grinder before each use.
How can you protect yourself from angle grinder incidents?
- Be mindful of the work surface. If it’s wet, make sure to use a cutting mat or something similar to stop any potential accidents from happening
- Familiarize yourself with your angle grinder and do not hesitate in shutting off power while you are changing blades if need be. It’s better to have an accident happen now than when you’re mid-project!
- Always wear safety goggles so that nothing can come up and into your eyes at high speeds as well as earplugs for extra protection against loud noises created by this machine.
- Lastly, always keep water handy because if anything goes wrong (or even before), know how to turn off the power quickly but safely until help arrives on site. Stay safe
- Always overcome obstruction during a project and never underestimate the power of a grinder.
Once you have an adequate understanding, learn how to properly care for your angle grinder by following these steps:
- Clean it regularly with water or air after using thick materials like metal, plastic, etc.
- Inspect before every use to make sure there are no pieces that can fall off from vibration but also check for rust spots as well as loose wires. If anything needs attention then take action immediately!
- Sometimes blades will need replacement so always be prepared for this eventuality and keep some spares handy in case you cannot find them at home or work when needed most.
Types of accidents with an angle grinder?
Cuts to the skin: While using an angle grinder there is a high chance to cuts the skin if it gets in contact with rotating blades.
Burns: Another common accident for angle grinders is burning to the hands or feet when they come into direct contact with high temperatures coming off from spinning metal pipe, etc., because it can heat up quickly. Burns are also possible if sparks fly onto your clothes and set them
Amputation of fingers: The angle grinder operates with the help of your fingers so there is a high chance for amputation of fingers if the grinder gets caught in between. This can happen with both hands and only one hand which should be avoided at all costs
Possible solutions to avoid accidents?
- -Stay safe by wearing gloves
- -Handle angle grinders safely and carefully
- -Wear appropriate clothing while
Eye injuries: The sparks from the rotating blade can harm your eyes if they fly right into your face. So you should wear safety goggles for protection
Loss of balance: You could lose balance and fall off a ladder or step stool while performing the task with an angle grinder, which can result in serious injuries or even death. It is important to always be aware of your surroundings when using
Head injuries: The dangerous accident with an angle grinder is a head injury because the sparks could fly into your face and head. Avoid these accidents by adjusting the height of the angle grinder so that it does not hit you in the head when working on a lower surface. Wear safety goggles or hold an object to shield yourself from any flying debris such as metal particles, wood chips, dust, etc.
Foot injuries: This is one of the common accidents that occur with an angle grinder. To avoid foot injury, wear sturdy shoes or safety boots and always use the appropriate footwear for your work surface instead of just wearing slippers.
Other impact injuries: Besides these technical injuries there is a high possibility of other injuries as well. Sometimes it could be fatal and I need to be hospitalized quickly. In a one-year period a data shows on 2016-2017, the hand and forearm injury submitted almost 742 cases and onto them, 82 cases happened because of angle grinder.
What can stop an angle grinder?
While using these power tools like an angle grinder, to recover the situation from the accidents you should unplug the electric power, turn off the angle grinder and remove all accessories on your both arms. But what can stop angle grinders?
The answer is Safety guards! The best way to protect yourself is by using a guard that covers the wheel so you don’t have contact with it.
Related: Can Angle Grinders Cut Wood?
How do you know if an angle grinder is safe?
Safety switches are important because they will turn off the tool immediately once your fingers touch the disk which can result in injury. If there’s no power switch on your particular model of the corded product then make sure that you don’t accidentally press down hard enough with your finger to activate it while working. When using a portable unit, just be sure never to carry them by their cords so as not to risk getting tangled up.
We have learned a lot from this blog post. We cover in this post on Why is Angle Grinder dangerous and what can stop these tools and how to use safety in the house. However, besides this information and tricks, you may need to implement an instant decision to get away from any further accidents. Try not to use any power tools that are not in good working condition and always wear your safety gears.
End of the content we wish you a safe journey with using an angle grinder because you can’t live without the help of this versatile tool. So make your way with the tools, Nothing can stop you.
You May also Like: